Premier Professional Business Networking In Houston | Events | Tools | Help
I follow an author on Twitter named Mark Batterson. Yesterday, he tweeted something really good that's worth passing along. He wrote: "If you've never been filled with fear because your dream seemed too big, you're dreaming too small!"
There's not much that needs to be added to this because it hits the nail directly on the head. However, I do have some pointers from another author (whose books I published) about turning your dreams into reality. Dave Earley encourages people to:
• Write down your dream in detail, describing the end goal clearly.
• Next, write out the incremental steps to fulfilling your dream.
• Now, find someone who also has a big dream they're willing to sacrifice to attain, inviting them to join you in a short, monthly meeting for each of you to share your progress.
• When you meet, arrive prepared to share what you've done to make your dream a reality since you last met, or what you're going to do differently in the future if past efforts did not work.
• Lastly, Dave points out the importance of tapping into the resources offered by your Creator, who has your best interests at heart and has even bigger dreams for your life if you will just ask what they are.
Decades before the movie, The Bucket List was released, I had a piece of paper with a list of things I wanted to do before I die. I first created the list when I was eight years old. My list contained the following things:
• Drive a Porsche on the autobahns of Germany at speed.
• Scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef.
• Fly first class overseas
• Become a published author, like my dad.
• Have a girlfriend who cared for me as much as I cared for her.
I wrote out this list. I had it for years too. I never told anyone about when I was a kid though, because I thought it was too private and that every single life goal was unattainable. Plus, all of my goals back then were very selfish.
Did I achieve them? Yes, with the exception of skydiving. My bride of 25 years has asked me to hold off on that for a while for all the obvious reasons. I've now written down a whole set of new life goals that are focused on helping others and using my gifts and talents to better mankind, but I want to see what your goals are. Share them in a comment below. It's good to tell the world!